Monday, October 26, 2009

Whats growing in the garden today....

I usually like to walk in the garden every morning after the morning rain here in orchid land....usually just to squish all the slugs and snails that come out in droves after the morning rain. Its also the best time to check out whats blooming and what fruits are almost ready to pick. Its amazing that only after living here for a year, I'm already starting to harvest my own fruits and vegetables including oranges, limes, pineapple, papaya (almost ready), okra, peppers, spinach, eggplant and a slew of herbs.

Of course I'm also spending a lot of time just eradicating weeds, weeds and more weeds. You know, it seems like you blink the the weed becomes a shrub, you blink again and then its a tree. I've been putting my lawn mower to use with the weekly mowing and helps with all the mulch I'm starting to collect and spread to other areas of the garden that are nutrient deficient. Even though everything is green I also have to spread fertilizers regularly since the cindered soil leeches nutrients very quickly and makes some plants look quite anemic and susceptible to diseases. Unfortunately its usually the plants (weeds) that you don't take care of that tend to outgrow everything else.

At least I'm successful with some of the plants I've featured below.






The papayas are almost ready to be picked...unless I decide to make green papaya salad instead.



The tangerines are tangy and sweet depending on how soon I get out to pick them.


Even the weeds are growing strong around the lion.


Here's a hybrid New Guinea Impatient with variegated leaves, I'm going crazy over all the amazing varieties available and how easy they are to propagate.

I love tropicals, this anthurium is over a foot long with amazing colorations....

What new surprises are coming out today?

This Buddha is starting to get overwhelmed by a patch of coleus that started at 4inches and is now over four foot tall and overtaking the rest of the garden bed.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha Noel,

    I love your blog and your photos. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    Oh yes and I fed the fish!

    Aloha nui loa,

    PA Mella

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails